Saturday, February 27, 2010

Motor mounts are back

I picked up the motor mounts from the powder coater earlier this week. The one that appears to be shorter is for the passenger side. Like I said before the drivers side needs a spacer at the engine in order to use a flat plate. You could also contour the plate on the engine side to get rid of the spacer, but that makes attaching the tube for the cross member more difficult.  Fitment on the passenger side is really close to the starter.  I didn't actually try to pack it in this tight, but it will leave plenty of room for the 3" exhaust.  Fitment on the drivers side is good also with plenty of room for the steering shaft.
To make these I made tracings of the original AAN mount by gluing card stock to them and cutting it with a ball peen hammer.  The same way you would make a custom gasket.  Then just move the patterns to some .250" plate steel and cut them out.  I created the feet with some paper and a compass while watching television.  Transfer the pattern to some .250" plate steel and cut them out.  Next I mounted all the pieces and positioned the motor with an engine hoist.  Using PVC pipe that was close to the size of my tubing I made some mock ups.  Its really fast to work and cheap to start over if it doesn't work out.  After that you just recreate them with your .120" chromoly tube and weld it all together.  It doesn't take any special equipment other than a welder to do this, just some patience.  Now I can drop the motor back in and start the exhaust manifold. 

 

  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment