Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sundays effort

Well today I finished installing the new fuel pump.  Hopefully the new foam sealing strip that I installed will keep some of the crud out of the pump's cavity.  All said I was not the happiest with the fit of the 044 pump.  Don't get me wrong, it will work fine, but you can tell that the space was designed for a different pump.  So with that project down I moved back to the front of the car and made a bracket for the power steering pump.  I'm using the pump and alternator from the Audi so that the belts will not be an issue.  I've heard that the 7a motor has a v-belt setup so you could use the Porsche pump and alternator if you'd like, you just need to source the correct harmonic balancer.  Hopefully there won't be any issues will pump output volumes or pressures, but if they crop up I'll let you know.  It would be doable to fit the pulley from the Audi pump onto the Porsche pump with a little work.  I have to get a steel tube to make the alternator bracket and then I will post some pictures like normal.  I have both units mounted as low as possible on the drivers side.  There was quite a bit of room in that area.  My only concern now is routing of the lower radiator hose.  Some sort of custom hard line may be in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment