Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Wiring

Well I have had the wiring stretched out in the living room since last week. I'm sure the mess and the beeping of the multimeter are about to kill my wife. Looks like the harness is in really good shape. Everything checks out okay with no damage to any of the connectors. I've traced all of the ECU pins to their destinations and marked everything. If I'm looking at it right there are only a couple of wires that will require power, and a couple of grounds. The harness is pretty specific to just engine functions. I do have a couple of wires that I need to verify their function before I remove them. Also I want to keep the Vag-com port intact and functional, so I will have to figure that out before I post the final procedure on this part. Here is a picture of the harness laying on the floor.




5 comments:

  1. Leroy - you planning to use the AAN's STOCK engine management system?

    damian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a look at some useful ABY wiring info I have collated over the years.

    Early ABY wiring - http://www.s2central.net/S2_Schematics/B/B73.PDF

    Later ABY wiring (accomodating immobiliser from MY95 onwards) - http://www.s2central.net/S2_Schematics/C/C50.PDF

    For a full drains up on the loom itself look no further than - http://www.s2central.net/S2_Schematics/ABY_Wiring.pdf

    That last link is of course very specific to the Audi B3/B4 platform but everything is there to help you do the translation into the 944.

    Couple of tips for you:

    1. You can ignore the code plug

    2. WIre up the K/L pins for OBD up to ISO connector inside the cabin somewhere.

    3. A 'blink' light (MIL) is a great addition from the blue OBD plug

    4. Seeing as you are doing a custom install on the loom - make consideration for adding a test port where you can easily access signals from critical sensors.

    5. Pay special attention to how the fuel pump is triggered by the ECU.

    6. Get ALL the earths.

    7. Don't forget heatsink for the back of POS units

    Good luck from S2central !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just trying to sort this out. What ECU are you using? Are you just trying to remove wires from the harness that are not needed for the engine?

    I'm considering a similar swap but am a little daunted by tying in all the wiring properly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be using a vems ECU. Yes I was basically trying to remove anything that I wouldn't be using and learning where everything went. Although I haven't installed the wiring yet it appears to be pretty simple really. I wouldn't let the wiring scare you, there are bigger monsters in this project IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, fair enough. I'm a Mechanical Engineer, so mechanical modifications don't bother me as much as electrical.

    ReplyDelete