Thursday, July 16, 2009

Bell housing

Okay in my searches around the net and through conversations with Bullmoose I have found that the 924 has a bellhousing that is suitable for this swap. There are two to choose from actually. A 924 bellhousing is equiped with a cable clutch and will work, but there is no provision for a slave cylinder, which we all know that the 944 has. I opted for the 931 bellhousing that came with the hydraulic clutch. It didn't take much searching to find one although I was warned that they were rare. Maybe I got lucky and if so I hope that it continues. Here are some pics to help out with the id of the proper part.


 
 

A word of warning here though, I haven't actually checked parts for fitment yet so buy at your own risk until I have time to make sure that it works.
Another note is that the Porsche uses a pulling motion compared to the Audi's pushing motion. Bullmoose solved the problem with a custom clutch fork. He did mention though that using a hydraulic throwout bearing may be a better option. We'll see when we get to that point in the build.

I'm told that some clearancing will be required inside of the bellhousing to make it fit properly. Time will tell and I'll put it all in here.

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering di you end up completed the project? Doing a aan to my bmw e30

    ReplyDelete